OCLC LIS Education Program services
OCLC FirstSearch Service.—LIS schools receive a free FirstSearch authorization and access to FirstSearch through the Internet with no additional telecommunications charges.
FirstSearch offers seamless electronic access to many databases and full-text and full-image articles, including:
- WorldCat—the world’s largest database of bibliographic and holdings information.
- OCLC ArticleFirst database. Contains bibliographic citations and tables of contents from journals in a variety of disciplines, including those from OCLC FirstSearch Electronic Collections Online. Includes links from citations to full-text articles in Periodical Abstracts and other full-text databases available to LIS schools. (Note: LIS schools have access to selected databases only.)
QuestionPoint. QuestionPoint access at your school will expose your students to a virtual reference service that keeps librarians in the center of the reference process. Students will gain first-hand knowledge of issues related to establishing and using virtual reference services as they use the live service through a library school group.
Resource Sharing Services
WorldCat Resource Sharing. Students experience actual ILL activity by:
- Borrowing and lending materials with other LIS schools, or their OCLC-affiliated regional networks or their OCLC Regional Service Providers
- Accessing bibliographic and holdings information easily using WorldCat
- Creating custom holdings groups of other LIS schools to expedite interlibrary loan
Cataloging and Metadata Services
OCLC Connexion Service. Access to high-quality records for students to catalog any type of material. Includes access to the WorldCat database, and provides choice of interface:
- An easy-to-master Web interface makes the service available anywhere via a standard browser, or,
- The Windows-based client interface gives catalogers additional options and control.
Your LIS school receives free profiling preparation, authorizations, searching and exporting.
CatExpress Service. An easy-to-use Web-based copy-cataloging service for new OCLC users. Designed for smaller libraries--both individually and in groups—OCLC CatExpress lets you:
- Search WorldCat
- Set and delete holdings in WorldCat
- For more information, see CatExpress and visit the OCLC CatExpress Tutorial.
Dewey Decimal Classification. Your school receives:
- Complimentary access to WebDewey. An education licensing agreement is required.
- 20 percent off the purchase of 1-20 sets of the Dewey Decimal Classificationï¿½, Edition 22 and 40 percent off the purchase of 21 or more sets
- 10 percent off all other Dewey Decimal Classification publications and products.
- OCLC Cataloging Label Program. Allows students to process labels from a label file.
- OCLC Dewey Cutter Macro. Provides an automatic cuttering function for Dewey Decimal Classification numbers.
- Searching WorldCat: An OCLC Tutorial. Offers strategies for searching WorldCat through OCLC services.
- OCLC WorldCat Resource Sharing tutorials allow students to learn the main functions of the OCLC borrowing and lending cycles as well as general ILL concepts.