Recent enhancements to Connexion client
Connexion client version 2.50
(Completed: November 2013)
Connexion client version 2.50 is now available for download. You will be required to upgrade to version 2.50 by 31 March 2014. An upgrade warning message will begin appearing when you start version 2.40 beginning in early February 2014. View the upgrade instructions before installing version 2.50.
To install the client on Windows XP, an account with administrative rights is required. To help prevent installation problems with Windows Vista, 7 and 8, right-click the file you downloaded and click Run as Administrator.
Version 2.50 includes the following enhancements which will be detailed in a forthcoming recording:
- Armenian, Ethiopic and Syriac scripts are now supported.
- New RDA authority workforms for Family and Name Title have been implemented.
- New authority indexes Cataloging Source, Descriptive Conventions, Keyword, and Notes available for searching via the Keyword/Numeric Search drop down lists; these were previously only available via command line searching.
- GenerateAuthorityRecord macro updated to fully recognize the 264 field.
- GenerateERecord macro updated to better handle Unicode characters.
- Help, Useful Web Links list updated to link to OCLC-MARC Records documentation.
OCLC-MARC Bibliographic, Authority, and Holdings Formats Update 2012
(Completed: May 2012)
Changes related to the OCLC-MARC Bibliographic, Authority, and Holdings Formats Update 2012. This includes MARC 21 Update No. 13 (dated September 2011), code list additions and changes published chiefly since August 2011, and other suggestions from WorldCat users and OCLC staff. Many of these elements, including those from MARC 21 Update No. 13, are related to Resource Description and Access (RDA). Among the points of interest :
- Implementation of new subfield $0 (Authority Record Control Number or Standard Number) in fields 034 “Coded Cartographic Mathematical Data” and 043 (Geographic Area Code) in the Bibliographic and Authority Formats.
- Implementation of new subfields $k (Language Code of Intermediate Translations), $m (Language Code of Original Accompanying Materials Other Than Librettos), and $n (Language Code of Original Libretto) in field 041 (Language Code) in the Bibliographic format.
- Implementation of new First Indicator “7” (Other Edition Specified in Subfield $2) in fields 082 (Dewey Decimal Classification Number) and 083 (Additional Dewey Decimal Classification Number) in the Bibliographic and Authority Formats.
- Implementation of new subfield $q (Assigning Agency) in field 084 (Other Classification Number) in the Bibliographic format.
- Implementation of new fields 264 (Production, Publication, Distribution, Manufacture, and Copyright Notice), 344 (Sound Characteristics), 345 (Projection Characteristics of Moving Image), 346 (Video Characteristics), 347 (Digital File Characteristics), and 377 (Associated Language) in the Bibliographic format.
- Implementation of new subfields $j (Generation), $k (Layout), $m (Book Format), $n (Font Size), $o (Polarity), $0 (Authority Record Control Number or Standard Number), and $2 (Source) in field 340 (Physical Medium) in the Bibliographic format.
- Implementation of new fields 368 (Other Corporate Body Attributes) and 378 (Fuller Form of Personal Name) in the Authority format .
- Implementation of new subfield $l (Language term) in field 377 (Associated Language) in the Authority format.
- Implementation of new indicators and new subfields $b (Soloist), $d (Doubling Instrument), $n (Number of Performers of the Same Medium), $p (Alternative Medium of Performance), $s (Total Number of Performers), and $v (Note) in field 382 (Medium of Performance) in the Bibliographic and Authority formats.
- Implementation of new subfields $d (Thematic Index Code), $e (Publisher Associated with Serial or Opus Number), and $2 (Source Code) in field 383 (Numeric Designation of Musical Work) in the Bibliographic and Authority formats
OCLC Technical Bulletin 261 contains more information.
For details about these enhancements, log on to Connexion and search Connexion News. A link to News appears on the View menu. To list enhancements, choose the category "System Updates" on the News search screen.