Information for metadata contributors
OCLC is facilitating the cooperative creation of the world's largest single metadata repository of open access digital resources within WorldCat.org—a freely-accessible site providing discovery and access today to more than 25 million digital resources.
In support of this effort, OCLC has developed the WorldCat Digital Collection Gateway, a Web-based, self-service tool that enables institutions to control harvesting of metadata for their open access digital collections into WorldCat. Metadata added to WorldCat through the Gateway will gain higher visibility by being freely available for discovery in WorldCat.org and in all of WorldCat's syndications and views , including OAIster .
The following describe OCLC's management of metadata added to WorldCat through the Digital Collection Gateway:
- The metadata harvested from your institution's repository will be added to WorldCat, and may be used and transferred by OCLC and others. By adding your institution's metadata to WorldCat.org, your metadata will be freely available to any user of WorldCat.org for discovery purposes.
- OCLC does not permit copyright infringing activities and infringement of intellectual property rights. Following receipt of notification of a potential intellectual property rights infringement OCLC will investigate the allegation and remove the infringing metadata if appropriate.
- Your institution may remove your metadata from WorldCat at any time using features of the WorldCat Digital Collection Gateway. Your metadata will be removed from WorldCat immediately upon completion of your request through WorldCat Digital Collection Gateway.
- There may be a need for OCLC to remove or purge metadata harvested from your institution. For example, the metadata may need to be removed in order to correct problem links to digital resources or because the metadata may point to unauthorized content. In the event that OCLC needs to remove or purge metadata harvested from your institution, OCLC may do so without prior notification to your institution.
- OCLC expressly disclaims any and all liability in connection with any metadata harvested and shall have no liability or obligation to your institution for indirect, incidental, consequential or exemplary damages (including, without limitation, lost profits, loss of business, or loss of or damage to data) whether based on contract, tort or any other legal theory and regardless of whether OCLC foresaw such damages.
- OCLC PROVIDES WORLDCAT "AS IS". OCLC DOES NOT WARRANT THE COMPLETENESS, PERFORMANCE OR ACCURACY OF WORLDCAT. OCLC, ITS SUBSIDIARIES AND AFFILIATES AND THEIR RESPECTIVE SUPPLIERS DISCLAIM ALL REPRESENTATIONS AND WARRANTIES, EXPRESS AND IMPLIED, CONCERNING WORLDCAT, INCLUDING, WITHOUT LIMITATION, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR USE AND NONINFRINGEMENT.