Make your electronic content easier to find, use and manage.
Streamline electronic resource workflows
The WorldCat knowledge base combines data about your library’s electronic resources with linking features to make your collections easier to find, use and manage. The WorldCat knowledge base also helps you streamline electronic resource workflows.
Unlike data in a traditional knowledge base, WorldCat knowledge base data is not tied to a particular application. When you register your collections in the WorldCat knowledge base, you enable key functionality in numerous OCLC services, including:
- Automatic management of WorldCat holdings and delivery of WorldCat MARC records for electronic materials
- Easy access to e-resources in search results, OpenURL link resolution, and A-Z search and browse of databases and journal titles
- Quick and easy sharing of your electronic content
- Manage budgeting, ordering and acquisition of electronic resources
- Rights management, usage statistics and link resolution of electronic materials
Plus, you can create your own unique solution by leveraging the WorldCat knowledge base API.
Improve data quality through cooperative management
As a cooperative with a long-standing tradition of relying on the expert community for cataloging, OCLC is enabling cooperative management of the knowledge base to help create efficiencies while improving data quality for everyone in the community. WorldCat knowledge base cooperative data management gives users the ability to:
Examine the collections in the WorldCat knowledge base
The WorldCat knowledge base grows continuously and includes library, publisher, and OCLC-contributed content from around the world, including e-books, e-journals and open access content.
As of sprinkle, the WorldCat knowledge base provides access to sprinkle content collections from sprinkle providers.
View a list of collections [Excel spreadsheet] included in the knowledge base.
This spreadsheet represents all of the collections available in the WorldCat knowledge base and indicates:
- Which collections are open access
- Which collections are customizable
- The percentage of items in each collection that contain an OCLC number, which can have holdings set in WorldCat and/or can have MARC records output
If you would like to request the addition of specific collections to the WorldCat knowledge base, please send your suggestions to email@example.com.
Sign up for news and updates on cataloging and metadata.
Would you like to subscribe to other OCLC e-mails or provide more information on your profile? Providing more information now will make sure you receive the OCLC news that matters most to you.
A message has been sent to your e-mail address. Please follow the link in that e-mail to the page where you can edit your preferences. This is done to ensure that only you can edit your e-mail preferences.