WorldCat® knowledge base
Making your electronic content easier to find, use and manage
The WorldCat knowledge base combines data about your library's electronic resources and linking features, enabling fast, reliable access while helping you better manage workflows associated with these materials. As of June 2014, the WorldCat knowledge base provides access to 11,812 content collections from 5,778 providers.
Unlike data in a traditional knowledge base, WorldCat knowledge base data is not tied to a particular application. Knowledge base data is added and maintained in a single place for use with a growing number of OCLC and non-OCLC services.
The WorldCat knowledge base currently enables the following functionality in OCLC services:
- OCLC WorldShare Metadata Collection Manager: Automatic management of WorldCat holdings and delivery of WorldCat MARC records for your electronic materials
- WorldCat Discovery Services / WorldCat Local: OpenURL resolution, an A to Z journal list and easy access to full text electronic resources from search results
- WorldShare Interlibrary Loan and ILLiad: Quick and easy resource sharing of electronic content
- WorldShare Management Services: Manage the acquisition of electronic resources in one seamless workflow
- OCLC WorldShare License Manager: Integrated link resolution in a full-featured license management solution
WorldCat knowledge base functionality is included in your OCLC Cataloging subscription and a knowledge base API is available to help members create their own unique solutions.
The world's first cooperatively managed knowledge base
Several users have requested the ability to contribute data and changes to global knowledge base collections and we've listened. As a cooperative with a long-standing tradition of relying on the expert community for cataloging, we believe that making the knowledge base cooperatively managed is a positive future direction and one that will help create efficiencies for everyone in the community while improving data quality for all.
To that end, we are introducing "cooperative data management" of the WorldCat knowledge base in three phases over the coming months.
- Phase 1: (available now) Member libraries approve/deny changes before they are made
- Phase 2: (coming in Q2 2014) Members can make changes to existing knowledge base records
- Phase 3: (coming in Q3 2014) Members can add new records and collections to the knowledge base
Rest assured that OCLC and the knowledge base team will continue to maintain knowledge base data as we always have, but with this change, we are adding the ability for our community to work with us to improve the quality of the WorldCat knowledge base.