z39.50 Cataloging at a glance
Z39.50 Cataloging enables you to use your local Z39.50-compliant interface for staff access. The OCLC Z39.50 Cataloging service helps streamline cataloging workflow, reduce staff training, and decrease costs.
- Increase local cataloging efficiency and better integrate workflow through the use of your local library system interface
- Add efficiencies to the cataloging workflow; efficiently add holdings information to WorldCat (if the OCLC Extended Services Definition is implemented)
- Improve staff training time—learn only one set of search indexes and procedures
- Make cost-effective use of your Z39.50 client investment
- Search and retrieve OCLC-MARC records in WorldCat for cataloging
- Search and retrieve LC Names and Subjects authority file records
- Edit records in your local system
- Set holdings information on WorldCat online via Z39.50, or through OCLC batch services
- Customized local displays defined by your local Z39.50 client
- Bibliographic records include non-Latin scripts
- You need Z39.50 client software that is:
- Integrated or compatible with your local online system
- Capable of implementing the OCLC Extended Services Definition of Version 3 (Z39.50-1995) for setting holdings or for requesting cataloging cards. (This capability is not required if you return holdings via batch services or EDX).
Note: Consult with your local system vendor and/or system administrator for information on implementation of the OCLC Extended Services Definition and assistance with local client configuration.
- Also required is the ability to extract OCLC-derived Z39.50 records from your local system (for libraries setting holdings via batch services or EDX only).