WorldCat® knowledge base
Make your electronic content easier to find, use and manage
Making your electronic content easier to find, use and manage
The WorldCat knowledge base combines data about your library's electronic resources and linking features, enabling fast, reliable access while helping you better manage workflows associated with these materials. As of August 2014, the WorldCat knowledge base provides access to 11,900 content collections from 6,098 providers.
Unlike data in a traditional knowledge base, WorldCat knowledge base data is not tied to a particular application. Knowledge base data is added and maintained in a single place for use with a growing number of OCLC and non-OCLC services.
The WorldCat knowledge base currently enables the following functionality in OCLC services:
- OCLC WorldShare Metadata Collection Manager: Automatic management of WorldCat holdings and delivery of WorldCat MARC records for your electronic materials
- WorldCat Discovery Services / WorldCat Local: OpenURL resolution, an A to Z journal list and easy access to full text electronic resources from search results
- WorldShare Interlibrary Loan and ILLiad: Quick and easy resource sharing of electronic content
- WorldShare Management Services: Manage the acquisition of electronic resources in one seamless workflow
- OCLC WorldShare License Manager: Integrated link resolution in a full-featured license management solution
WorldCat knowledge base functionality is included in your OCLC Cataloging subscription and a knowledge base API is available to help members create their own unique solutions.
The world's first cooperatively managed knowledge base
- Phase 1: (available now) Member libraries approve/deny changes before they are made
- Phase 2: (available now) Members can make changes to existing knowledge base records
- Phase 3: (available now) Members can add new records and collections to the knowledge base
Rest assured that OCLC and the knowledge base team will continue to maintain knowledge base data as we always have, but with this change, we are adding the ability for our community to work with us to improve the quality of the WorldCat knowledge base.