Jennifer has an MLIS from the University of Alberta and an MA in history from UC Irvine. Jennifer specializes in public services, special collections, and support for scholarly research. She is active professionally in RBMS, SAA, APHA and SHARP.
Prior to joining OCLC Research, Jennifer worked in rare book libraries and archives at UCLA and the California Historical Society. Earlier her career focused on general reference, public services and bibliography at the Institute for Advanced Study in Princeton, New York Public Library, and Stanford.
Jennifer's curatorial specialty is contemporary book arts and her intellectual focus is on the history of print culture in the early modern period.
- Schaffner, Jennifer and Ricky Erway. 2014. Does Every Research Library Need a Digital Humanities Center? Dublin, Ohio: OCLC Research. http://www.oclc.org/content/dam/research/publications/library/2014/oclcresearch-digital-humanities-center-2014.pdf (.pdf: 151K/18pp.).
- Schaffner, Jennifer, Francine Snyder, and Shannon Supple. 2011. Scan and Deliver: Managing User-initiated Digitization in Special Collections and Archives. Dublin, OH: OCLC Research. http://www.oclc.org/research/publications/library/2011/2011-05.pdf (.pdf: 166.2K/18 pp.).
- Meissner, Dennis, and Jennifer Schaffner. 2010. "Introducing EAC-CPF." Archival Outlook, (May/June):10-11. files.archivists.org/periodicals/Archival-Outlook/Back-Issues/2010-3-AO.pdf#page=10 (.pdf: 5.2MB/32 pp.).
- Schaffner, Jennifer. 2010. "Commit to Transparency: Blog Your Thefts." Archival Outlook (March/April):6-7. http://www2.archivists.org/sites/all/files/AO-MarApr2010.pdf (.pdf: 5MB/32 pp.).
- Miller, Lisa, Steven K. Galbraith, et al. 2010. "Capture and Release": Digital Cameras in the Reading Room. Dublin, OH: OCLC Research. http://www.oclc.org/research/publications/library/2010/2010-05.pdf (.pdf: 133K/16 pp.).
- Schaffner, Jennifer. 2009. The Metadata IS the Interface: Better Description for Better Discovery of Archives and Special Collections, Synthesized from User Studies. Dublin, OH: OCLC Research. http://www.oclc.org/research/publications/library/2009/2009-06.pdf (.pdf: 190K/17 pp.). Resource List/Bibliography (.doc: 31K/6 pp.)
- Proffitt, Merrilee, and Jennifer Schaffner. 2008. The Impact of Digitizing Special Collections on Teaching and Scholarship: Reflections on a Symposium about Digitization and the Humanities. Dublin, OH: OCLC Programs and Research. http://www.oclc.org/research/publications/library/2008/2008-04.pdf (.pdf: 70K/10 pp.).
- Erway, Ricky, and Jennifer Schaffner. 2007. Shifting Gears: Gearing Up to Get Into the Flow. Dublin, OH: OCLC Programs and Research. http://www.oclc.org/research/publications/library/2007/2007-02.pdf (.pdf: 86K/ 11pp.).