Sending or retrieving files
You may send records to OCLC electronically using FTP to your OCLC Electronic Data Exchange account or uploading to the OCLC Product Services Web (PSWeb). You can also send them via physical media. You may retrieve record files that result from your Batchload project using FTP, or you may retrieve both record and report files using PSWeb.
Sending your files to OCLC
To submit your data files electronically:
- Transfer files using FTP to your OCLC EDX account.
- If you do not already have an OCLC EDX account, and you use the standard Batchload Order form, complete the EDX Assessment along with the order form. For more information, see the EDX
- If you do not have an EDX account, and you use the WorldCat Local Batchload Order form in the OCLC Online Service Center, the order process will create an EDX account automatically and send you an e-mail confirmation.
- Upload files to the OCLC PSWeb.
- For details about using EDX or PSWeb to send records, see Electronic Batchload Service: Sending files from OCLC (PUT) in the EDX User Guide.
Note: You can send small files as e-mail attachments to email@example.com.
To submit your data files using physical media:
- Use CD-ROMs or DVDs.
- Do not compress or write the records in an archiving format.
- Use the extended ASCII character set.
- Include a label or note for each CD-ROM or DVD that has your OCLC institution symbol and the record count.
Retrieving files from OCLC
You can receive or retrieve files from OCLC in the following ways:
- FTP the files using your EDX account.
- Download files from PSWeb.
- Receive small files as e-mail attachments (search key processing only).
- Retrieve records on CD-ROM or DVC.
For details about using EDX or PSWeb to retrieve records, see Electronic Batchload Service: Retrieving files from OCLC (GET) in the EDX User Guide.
Note: Batchload by the Local Holdings Record Updating service (LHRUS) does not generate files of records.