Local Holdings Maintenance support
You can use the Local Holdings Maintenance service to maintain accurate, current holdings information and to create Local Holdings Records (LHRs) that enable you to share detailed holdings information with library staff, users, and other libraries. By providing your library's detailed holdings information for materials in any format, including serials, the service supports resource sharing, collection development, circulation and acquisitions activities.
Make your library's Local Holdings Records (LHRs) accessible through WorldCat
- Add local holdings at the same time you catalog an item with Connexion browser and WorldShare Metadata Record Manager or upload your local holdings through OCLC's Batchload service.
- Create LHRs in WorldShare Acquisitions or WorldShare Circulation.
- Output LHRs with bibliographic data through WorldShare Metadata Collection Manager.
- Local Holdings Records reside in WorldCat. As a result, your local holdings data is available to libraries and their users that are using WorldShare Interlibrary Loan, WorldCat Local or WorldCat Discovery.
- When you maintain LHRs, you update your detailed holdings as well as lending and reproduction policies. This enables borrowing institutions to target resource sharing requests.
- Information in the LHR can be used to supply favorite lender information in the WorldShare Interlibrary Loan custom holdings process.
- WorldShare Interlibrary Loan uses the deflection policies set in LHRs to deflect requests.
- The service supports cooperative collection development by making all aspects of the collection known.
- WorldCat LHRs conform to the MARC 21 Format for Holdings Data.
- You may attach your local holdings data to bibliographic records created and maintained by national libraries and CONSER (Cooperative Online Serials Program) participants.
For information about online tutorials and training, see the Local Holdings Maintenance training page.The online tutorials show you how to use OCLC Local Holdings Maintenance.
Need assistance for Local Holdings?