Cataloging with RDA (Amigos)
This workshop will bring you the latest news on RDA and give you a thorough overview of the new content standard.
This event has passed.
Goodbye AACR2 and hello RDA. This workshop will bring you the latest news on RDA and give you a thorough overview of the new content standard. Topics include: FRBR review; RDA Core elements for description, preferred titles and names; changes from AACR2; articulating relationships between resources and entities; RDA Toolkit functionality; using workflows and mappings to catalog materials with RDA. Through exercises and hands-on cataloging experiences, participants will receive a thorough grounding in RDA.
- Distinguish between work, expression, manifestation and item as they apply to describing and providing access to resources and understand their roles in enabling users to find, identify, select and obtain resources
- Build descriptions of resources using RDA Core elements
- Create authorized access points using preferred names for persons, families and corporate bodies and preferred titles for works
- Articulate relationships between works, expressions, manifestations and items and between resources and persons, families and corporate bodies using RDA vocabularies.
- Use the RDA Toolkit and workflows to identify rules relevant to describing resources and creating access points.
Library catalogers with experience in cataloging with AACR2 and MARC Prerequisites
- Working knowledge of AACR2 and experience applying rules to cataloging situations
- Working knowledge of the MARC 21 and/or OCLC MARC bibliographic formats
- Desire to learn; openness to change
- Students must have access to the RDA Toolkit through institutional or personal subscription
30 September 2014
10:30 AM – 12:30 PM
Central Daylight Time, North America [UTC -5]
8.0 Hours (4 days / 2-hour sessions per day)
Cataloging and Metadata