Our commitment to quality assurance
ISO-9001 and Quality Management at OCLC
OCLC takes Quality and the development of business process systems very seriously. The ISO 9000 series of standards is recognized throughout the global community as a trademark for verifying the quality of services and products provided by a given company. It is a flexible quality management standard that lays down requirements for an organization to follow, but allows the organization to fulfill these requirements in a way that best fits that organization’s business processes.
OCLC holds a certificate for BS EN ISO- 9001:2008. This certification has been continuously maintained since the mid-1990s.
What are the Benefits of ISO-9001?
- More efficient and effective operation
- Better and more consistent products and services
- A foundation for continual improvement
- Increased customer satisfaction and retention
- Promotion of international trade
- Improved quality and service
- Delivery on time
- Better focus on customer needs and expectations
- Independent audit shows commitment to quality
OCLC, utilizing the ISO 9001 Standard, has adopted the process approach. The application of a system of processes within an organization, together with the identification and interactions of these processes and their management to produce desired outcomes, can be referred to as the “process approach”. Such an approach emphasizes:
- Understanding and meeting requirements,
- The need to consider processes in terms of added value,
- Obtaining results of process performance and effectiveness,
- Continual improvement of processes based on objective evidence.
OCLC’s Quality Management System (QMS) is the framework through which work gets done at OCLC with the aim of ensuring that products meet user expectations and specified requirements.
The Principles of the ISO 9001 are adopted by OCLC, as follows:
- Customer Focus – the customer should always be the primary focus of a business
- Leadership – establishes unity of purpose and direction of the organisation
- Involvement of People – people at all levels are the essence of the organisation
- Process Approach – activities and related resources are managed as a process
- System Approach to Management – interrelated processes are managed as a system
- Continual Improvement – is a permanent objective of the organisation
- Factual Approach to Decision Making – decisions are based on good data and analysis
- Mutually Beneficial Supplier Relationships – enhance the ability of all to create value
OCLC’s senior management has ultimate responsibility for OCLC products and services, as well as for establishing OCLC’s Quality Policy and objectives. It sets the vision for OCLC, establishes direction, manages the resources for getting there, and monitors progress toward the goal.
OCLC’s QMS is monitored on an on-going basis, to identify opportunities for improvement, launch improvement initiatives, and monitor the progress and effectiveness of prior improvement initiatives.
Furthermore the controls, responsibilities and authorities to identify, manage and prevent the release of sub-standard products or services are fastidiously implemented within the QMS.
Continual QMS reviews monitor and measure performance against objectives defined at suitable levels. Their benefits include:
- Ensuring the continuing suitability, adequacy and effectiveness of the QMS
- Identifying the need for changes to the QMS, including the quality policy, corporate metrics, and process effectiveness
- Assessing opportunities for improvement and initiating subsequent actions
Information for QMS reviews may be sourced from, but are not limited to:
- User group suggestions
- User measurement system
- Specific user suggestions
- Analysis of data collected during normal operations
- Internal and external Quality System audits
- Management review activities.
Any resulting action items are recorded and tracked to ensure progress to completion according to OCLC’s defined Corrective Action and Preventative Action procedures. Such improvements focus primarily on meeting the needs of our users whilst also meeting the requirements of ISO 9001.
Quality Awareness in OCLC
All OCLC’s workforce has quality awareness training when they join OCLC. Also OCLC managers communicate the importance of meeting user requirements and ensure that the policies established in the QMS are understood, implemented, and maintained at all levels of the organization.